1. 2. <data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.frankking.net

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
3. FRANK KING'S BLOG: The Bible Makes Us Wiser 4. 12. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 23. 24.

25. 26. The Bible Makes Us Wiser 27. 28.

29.

Are you a student of the Bible? I sure am. Over 30 years ago, I began studying the Bible. Since that time, it has been a vital part of my life. The Bible is loaded with wisdom, which has benefitted me in at least two very powerful ways. One, the Bible is the source of content for my preaching ministry. After 30 years of pastoring and preaching, I feel as if I have only scratched the surface of preaching on what there is to share out of the Bible. Secondly, the Bible is loaded with wisdom for my and your personal life.

In Psalm 119, the writer expresses his love for the Word of God, and he gives several levels on which the Bible imparts wisdom to us. “Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me” (Psalm 119:98, NIV). The point here is that even when we try to love everybody, there will be those who make us their enemy. Unfortunately, that's a given. But God has blessed us with the Bible so we have wisdom to deal with those who would oppose and persecute us. If we allow it to, His Word will order our steps and actions so we can prevail in adversarial environments.

Secondly, “I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes,” the psalmist says (verse 99). Note that he attributes his superior insight to his meditation on the Scriptures. You see, as we spend time studying and meditating on the Scriptures, our views and our ways of thinking will be challenged and radically changed over time. The resulting insight will be far superior to the natural perspective we started out with.

Finally, the psalmist says, “I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts” (v. 100). Now the elders during the psalmist’s day were leaders among the people. They were men of good report and understanding. But the psalmist says he obtained understanding that exceeded that of the elders through his obedience to God’s Word. It should not seem strange to us that God imparts more understanding to those who walk in obedience to His Word.

So the psalmist reveals three awesome personal benefits we can get from the Bible: wisdom, insight, and understanding. What will these do for us? They enable us to make better decisions in our personal life. That’s important because sometimes a person can make one bad decision that he ends up paying for an entire lifetime. Hence, a commitment to regularly studying and meditating on the Word of God should interest us because it increases our quality of life through better decision-making.

During my days as a pastor, I did my share of counseling troubled teens and troubled marriages. Moreover, my wife and I were blessed to have six children. My trustworthy guide through those many years of counseling and parenting has been the wisdom and insights found in the Bible. What a priceless treasure God has given us! So let us dig in and be blessed.

Copyright ©2011 by Frank King. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , , ,

30. 31. 32.